Tuesday 18 October 2011

Bits and Pieces

I have been having a bit of a clear out today emptying the drawers and cupboards in my studio, I realised that I keep far to many bits and pieces and I need to be ruthless.


I keep a lot of jars with bits of paint residue on them, I like the colours on this one.


Bits of paint that collect on my knives.


A dried rose.


An old piece of machine embroidery.


The rose reminds me of a few lines from one of my favourite poems.

That the future is a faded song, a royal rose or a lavender spray
Of wistful regret for those who are not yet here to regret,
Pressed between yellow leaves of a book that has never been opened.
And the way up is the way down, the way forward is the way back.


From Four Quartets, The Dry Salvages, T.S. Eliot

I think I will put this all back in my cupboard and leave the decision until another day.!!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's too hard to part with things that at a first glance might seem useless or just gathering dust. I love you palette knife paint collection :) seems like a little exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I like them too, perhaps one day I will put them together as a collection. Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete